Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Yeast of the Problem

Yeast can make you or break you! It is the difference between bread like a rock and bread like a feather! The most critical thing I learned is that Salt controls the yeast!! That's right if you put in too much salt it will kill it! and if you put in the right amount of yeast but you put it directly on the yeast it will also kill it. But on the upside, if you forget to put the salt in all together your bread will rise quite fast! =) So, when making bread add the salt after you have added some of the flour to protect your yeast.  It also bears saying that water temp is a huge factor. Too warm or too cold either one will kill the yeast. I try to get mine just warmer than room temp. and I also warm my ingredients slightly so that the yeast doesn't get shocked when added.  One more important note. It needs to be room temp before you add the water, this is assuming you are keeping your yeast in the fridge, and you should as it will last longer and stay fresher.  Okay, I think that completes my dissertation on yeast. I hope it makes sense. Please add if you have more info!

4 comments:

The Gundies said...

Can you keep yeast in the freezer? Would that have any affect on its ability to rise?

Erin Jeanne said...

Okay, I did not know for sure on freezing so I googled. It appears that you can indeed freeze it! Here is a website I found that gives a table of the different types of yeast and some basic info. Good question!
http://breaddaily.tripod.com/yeast.htm

Christine said...

I get my yeast at Sam's Club, so I have a lot of yeast. I can't keep it fresh. I started keeping extra in the freezer. Now I use it straight from the freezer, so I don't have to worry about how long I've had it at room temp.

Erin Jeanne said...

I get mine at sam's too. If it is un opened i just keep it in the pantry. but now I am wondering if I should freeze it. that seems like a good idea for long term. the one I am using is going fast enough that the fridge works. Thanks for adding! Would you like to be an author Christine? I will send you an invite!