Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Honey Wheat Bread

I think the preliminaries are pretty well covered! So on to the recipes!

This is without a doubt the most used recipe in my house.  I do not buy store bought bread but once in a great while anymore thanks to this bread recipe. I found it in my Fiddler's Canyon Ward Cookbook.  What you see posted here is significantly adapted from the recipe found above so I feel fairly comfortable calling it my own.

I make it pretty sweet, but the honey can be adjusted down for a less sweet flavor with out really affecting the out come of the bread (though you may need less yeast with less honey).  It will also be important to note that I use quite a lot of yeast. I am at a very low altitude and moist climate so extra yeast is necessary. Those of you in drier and high altitudes will probably need less yeast. (I think I will create a post dedicated to yeast and what I have learned about this tricky little substance, if you have some experience please add!)

Honey Wheat Bread
-makes two good sized loaves

2 tblspns yeast with 1/2 cup warm water and 1 tblspn sugar

1/4 cup oil (can use butter)
1 1/4 almond milk (rice and dairy milk also work great)
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup honey
1tspn salt
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 1/2 cups unbleached wheat flour

Preheat oven to 350' (I find this helps my yeast proof and bread rise)

Yeast: put in a bowl on stove top to allow to warm to room temp. once warmed add water and sugar, stir well to ensure dissolved completely.  Let proof about 10-15 min.

Mix: Oil, Milk, Water, Honey in electric mixer. (warm slightly milk, water, and honey). When yeast is nice and tall add to bowl and mix well.

Add: 1/2 flour and mix well. Add salt and remaining flour gradually.  (I alternate one cup of each type of flour to keep it balanced.)  Knead until well mixed and smooth yet still a little sticky.

Place in well greased bowl, rub the dough ball with margarine to keep it moist while rising, cover with a damp cloth and let rise 30-60 minutes or until doubled.  Knock down, divide into loaves, place in well greased loaf pans, again rub with margarine, let rise another 30-40 min.

Bake: 30 minutes middle rack or until the bread has a hollow sound when you thump it lightly on the top.

Remove from oven and let cook just a few minutes in the pans and then dump out and place on wire cooling racks.

Happy  Baking! let me know if you have any problems or questions! And remember, bread is one of those things that takes practice, at least it is for me!

I will try to take pictures the next time I make it and then add them. :)

No comments: