Thursday, June 14, 2012

Granola Mix

I have only made this once. It is good, we are eating it. But I have been thinking of ways I am going to tweak it. I will put the main recipe here, from the book Make-a-Mix Cookery, and then I will post my exact recipe later when I finalize it.

Granola Mix

10 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 lb. shredded coconut
2 cups raw sunflower seeds
1 cups sesame seeds
3 cups chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, or combination)
1 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup molasses
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 teaspoons vanilla

Dried fruit as desired

Preheat oven to 300'. In a large bowl combine oats, wheat germ, coconut, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and nuts. Blend well. In a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, water, oil, honey, molasses, salt, cinnamon and vanilla. Heat until sugar is dissolved, but do not boil. Pour syrup over dry ingredients and stir until well-coated. Spread into five 13"x9" baking pans, or cookie sheets with sides. Bake 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Bake 15 minutes longer for crunchier texture. Cool. Add dried fruit. Put in airtight container. Label. Store in a cool, dry place. Use with in 6 months. Makes 20 cups of Granola Mix.

No comments: