Thursday, June 14, 2012

Corn Meal Mix

Cornmeal Mix

Not2: southern friends these are sweet yellow corn meal, just keep that in mind if you try this!  You could try white cornmeal in a mix, but I have not yet.

4 Cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 baking powder
1 cup vegetable shortening (I recommend the Crisco brand)
4 1/2 cups corn meal

     In a large bowl, combine flour, salt , sugar and baking powder. Stir to blend well. With a pastry blender, cutin shortening until evenly distributed.  Add corn meal and mix well. Put in a large airt tight container. Label. Stor in a cool, dry place.  Use with in 10-12 weeks. Makes about 10 1/2 cups of Corn Meal Mix. note: I did all of the mixing in my electric mixer, I used the cake attatchment. It worked well.

No comments: