Thursday, June 16, 2011

Fish and Rice

Okay, So if you are like me you don't do a "recipe" every day, it is more like meal combination.  With that in mind I have been wanting some new ideas that are things I can keep on hand and put together to call a meal. In the spirit of that I am posting an idea that I use for my family.  Tonight we had Tilapia, Broccoli and Cheese rice, Tossed Green Salad, Blueberry muffins, and peaches. Sounds kind of fancy right? Well, it is actually a simple 30 minute standby! Here's the break down:

I will get about 2.5 meals from one bag.  One bag is $11.98 at Sam's Club. We don't get this all the time cause it is a little expensive, but it is worth it!  Oh and these cook from mostly frozen in 20 minutes. I just put a little garlic salt, basil, and lemon pepper on them.

We love rice in our house. One packet left us with just a little left over. It was $.88! I cooked it in the microwave in 12 minutes! yup, 12 minutes.

Who doesn't love a blueberry muffin! One packet makes 6 muffins, barely enough for my crew. These were $.78!  These took 15 minutes in the oven. I set the temp for the fish at 400 started it first 5 minutes then added the muffins and everything came out pretty much at the same time! (fish on the bottom rack) 

We prefer this blend cause it has pea pods and radishes! mmmmm if I make a salad myself I include both! These are often on sale for 2 for $5. We usually get two meals out of one bag, and yes the kids eat this!


This is one of the large cans, a small one doesn't quite do it but a big one left us with a few left over. Lunch tomorrow! I think I paid a dollar for this one.

I have included all the pricing so that we can see that this is a convenient quick, relatively health, meal that doesn't break the bank.  I hope this helps you with some ideas to keep in your kitchen!

Total Per Person Cost: $2.71 (feel free to double check the math!)

Now you know, I often get our entire meals from packages. Sigh. But if you do it right it can still be pretty darn healthy. Even the peaches are no sugar added preserved in pear juice. I am going to put a label on this type of post Convenient Combos so that we will know they are not really a recipe, but a meal idea.The idea here is kind of to have parts on hand that you could use in different combination. Such as pasta instead of rice or chicken instead of fish etc. PLEASE if you have some meals like this that you keep on hand for your family SHARE!! We would love some change.

No comments: