Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Zucchini Bread

I had never made this before, I had seen it made by my Mother and Sister as a kid, but never actually done it myself.  I have to say, it is really easy! and seems to be a huge hit! So, try it if you have not. If you have never had zucchini bread it is very much like spice cake. MMM  This recipe is based off of the one I found in the Fiddler's Canyon Relief Society Cookbook.  I made two alterations to the recipe from the way it was printed 1) I did not put in nuts 2) two I increased the amount of cinnamon and vanilla and added nutmeg. So, if you want a good basic "traditional" recipe, just google one, but this one is really quite good, even if I do say so myself.

Preheat oven to 325'

Prepare 2 small loaf pans, grease them with margarine or butter. I do not add flour as I do to most other cakes.

2 cups peeled and shredded zucchini

3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups white sugar
3 tspn vanilla

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tspn baking soda
1/4 tspn baking powder
1 tspn salt
3-4 tspns cinnamon
1 tspn nutmeg

Mix wet and dry ingredients separately. I prefer to put the dry in my mixer and then beat the eggs sugar and oil together by hand adding them to the already blended dry ingredients. After mixing those I add the zucchini.  After it is all well mixed pour evenly between the two prepared loaf pans.
Bake for about 60 minutes, mine takes a little longer but I have quite small pans, just start checking it at about 50 minutes and cook until a thin knife comes out clean.  Leave in pans to cool for 10-20 minutes before turning out to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!

No comments: